Lá fhéile Pádraig sona dhuit!
“For each petal on the shamrock
This brings a wish your way
Good health, good luck, and happiness
For today and every day”
A couple of years ago John Abernethy competed on Mastermind (a English TV quiz show) and had The Pogues as his specialist subject. We know that that the London Celtic Punks bhoys and ghirls are a knowledgeable lot so here’s the questions below. Have a go and see how many you got and I’ll post the answers one week from today!!
1. What was the name of the first Pogues song to enter the charts when it peaked at number 72 in April 1985?
2. Who produced the Pogues’ most successful single Fairytale of New York and the album it was taken from If I Should fall from Grace with God?
3. In October ‘86 the Pogues recorded two songs with the Dubliners. One was the Irish Rover making the Top 10. What was the title of the other song that appeared on the B side?
4. Which new wave artist produced the Pogues second album that was released in August 1985?
5. What was the Pogues debut single for Stiff Records that failed to chart when it was released in October ’84?
6. Following a number of promotional appearances, the Pogues first live American concert took place in February 1986. At what venue in New York?
7. What was the title of the 4-track EP that was released in March 1986 featuring among its songs A Rainy Night in Soho and The Body of an American?
8. Who replaced the guitarist Philip Chevron when he missed the band’s American tour in late ’87 because of ill health?
9. During July and August ’87 the Pogues opened for which band in a number of stadium gigs, the first of which was at Wembley in front of a crowd of 70,000?
10. The video of the song Fiesta was filmed in Barcelona in April ’88?. Which comedian directed it?
11. By what name is the tinwhistle player and occasional vocalist Peter Stacy better known?
12. Apart from the annual re-releases of the Fairytale of New York, what was the title of the last release by the band to make the UK Top 20?
13. What was the name of the bass player who left the band in ’86 following her marriage to Elvis Costello earlier in the year?
14. What was the title of the first album of new material released by the band following the departure of MacGowan . It was produced by Michael Brook and recorded in ’93?
15. The Pogues played a benefit concert in Camden in December 1990 for their manager’s daughter after she was injured in a diving accident. What was her name?
John Abernethy got 12 right out of the 15 so see if you can do better!
soooooo come back exactly one week today and click below and you will be directed to the answers
HAPPY ST PATRICK’S DAY TO ALL
you can ‘follow’ the blog and receive a e-mail every time we post by simply filling out the section that is on the bar on the left hand side under the menu at the top. we post around 6-9 times a month so you wont be too harassed we promise!